JERRY OF THE CIRCUS
The Old Time Radio show, Jerry of the Circus, is a wonderfully heartwarming and delightful children's series, syndicated in 1937. The show is fifteen minutes in length and follows the adventures of Jerry Dugan and his dog, Rags. Jerry and Rags join Sam Randall's Circus after the death of his family.
In the premier episode, Jerry brings a note to Sam from his father saying that Jimmy "has the circus in his blood." Which is how Jerry and his dog, Rags become members of circus.
The characters include:
- Jerry Dugan - orphan who joins the Randall Brothers Circus when his father dies
- Rags - Jerry's dog
- Mr. Randall - owner of the Randall Brothers Circus
- Bumps - the clown Jerry bunks with; recruits Jerry's dog Rags for his act
- Patsy - the trapeze artist of the circus
- Jason - the large cat trainer
- Carmen Bandini (voiced by actor who played the Girl Submarine Commander in Magic Island - tightrope walker who leaves the circus for Hollywood
- Major Mike - the little person who regards himself as the star attraction on the midway
- Decker/Dan Dougan - the kindly circus performer who turns out to be Jerry's big-game hunter uncle suffering from amnesia
- Lorenz - the knife-throwing performer who controls Decker through bribery
- Clara - the costumer
- Johnny Bradley - Shakespearean clown
So sit back and gather the family around. Jerry and Rags will enthrall not only the kids, but adults too. After all, what child doesn't want to "run off to the circus" at some point in his or her young life? So run off to the circus with Jerry and Rags for over 125 episodes and 30 plus hours.
See also the follow-up series, Jerry at Fair Oaks.
OTRR Certification Information:
Series Name: Jerry of the Circus
Certification Status: OTRR Certified Accurate
Certification Date: January 19, 2011
Certification Version: Version 1
Number of CDs: 1
From the Old Time Radio Researchers Group. See "Note" Section below for more information on the OTRR.
OLD TIME RADIO RESEARCHERS GROUP
This is a production of the Old Time Radio Researchers Group located at Old Time Radio Researchers Website and the Old Time Radio Researchers Group.
It contains the most complete and accurate version of this series in the best sound possible at the time of creation. An updated version will be issued if more episodes or better sounding ones become available.
If you are interested in preserving old time radio, you may wish to join the Old Time Radio Researchers Group at Yahoo.
Relax, listen, and enjoy!
OTRR Certified Accurate -- A series that is Certified Accurate indicates that all the episodes are properly identified and labeled but that the series does not contain all known extant episodes.
OTRR Certified Complete -- A series that is Certified Complete is the highest level of certification available under the OTRR Certified Standards. This certification level implies that all the files in the series are Certified Accurate but also indicates that the series is as complete as possible – it includes all extant episodes.
OTRR Non-Certified -- A collection of shows that has not gone through the OTRR Certification process.